We are committed to protecting the privacy and confidentiality of your personal information (including any health information) that we hold.
We will not provide your information to anyone else unless
- you consent to us providing your information: or
- we are required by law to provide the information.
You consent to us providing your information to service providers who have a confidentiality agreement with us.
For example, Cancer Council Victoria is responsible for the mail-out to our members of our regular newsletter.
We comply with the requirements of the Health Records Act 2001 (Victoria).
If you tell us in your membership application that you have cancer now or had cancer previously, this information is “health information” under the Health Records Act 2001 (Victoria).
Any health information that is collected is used for the purposes of our advocacy work.
- it may be important in making a submission to a government body to provide the experience of someone with a particular type of cancer.
- Sometimes we are asked by researchers to put them in touch with people with a particular type of cancer for the purposes of their research.
- The Cancer Council has asked us to get our members with a particular type of cancer to review draft consumer information brochures.
You may ask for a copy of the health information that we hold about you by contacting the Secretary either:
by email to email@example.com Attention: The Secretary; or
by post to The Secretary, Cancer Action Victoria, PO Box 2286, Mt Waverley 3149.
If you have a complaint about how we handle your health information and it cannot be resolved to your satisfaction, you can contact
The Health Services Commissioner
26th Floor, 570 Bourke Street, Melbourne 3000
Phone 1300 582 113
We may amend this policy from time to time. The current version of this policy will be displayed on our website.